Advance Care Planning Australia
Advance Care Planning Australia (ACPA) aims to promote and improve advance care planning.
What is advance care planning?
Advance care planning (ACP) involves people planning for their future health care. It enables people to make some decisions now about the health care they would or would not like to receive if they were to become seriously ill and unable to communicate their preferences or make treatment decisions.
ACP helps to ensure loved ones and health providers know what matters most to the person and respect their treatment preferences.
ACPA’s vision is that people:
- Have a voice.
- Can document their wishes and preferences.
- Are listened to by care providers.
- Have their wishes and preferences enacted.
ACPA’s objectives for 2023 to 2026 are:
- To engage and inform the community about ACP.
- To engage and educate the health and aged care workforce about ACP.
- To engage, connect, and inform key stakeholders, working collaboratively to improve systems that support and enhance ACP.
- To contribute to the evidence base and knowledge sharing for ACP.
How will ACPA achieve its objectives?
- National Advisory Service – phone line, email and web enquiry service to connect people to resources, information, and services (where available)
- National training program – face-to-face sessions in all states and territories, in collaboration with key stakeholders; online modules
- Website and resources – information for the general public, and the health and aged care workforce
- ACP Week – flagship national promotional campaign, annually in March
- Forums and networks – to share information, showcase good practice, and build networks, including community of practice for practitioners and a national symposium in 2024
- Systemic advocacy – advocating for improvement and investment in policies and systems that enable and support advance care planning
- Research – including a national prevalence study.
ACPA is funded by the Australian Government as a National Palliative Care Project and is hosted by Brisbane South Palliative Care Collaborative, Metro South Health.
Contact: 1300 208 582 | firstname.lastname@example.org