Australian COVID-19 Palliative Care Working Group
Palliative Care Australia has formed the Australian COVID-19 Palliative Care Working Group (ACPCWG) in partnership with the Australian and New Zealand Society of Palliative Medicine (ANZSPM), Palliative Care Nurses Australia (PCNA), Australasian Chapter of Palliative Medicine (AChPM) of the Royal College of Physicians (RACP), End of Life Directions for Aged Care (ELDAC), Paediatric Palliative Care Australia and New Zealand (PAPCANZ), CareSearch, caring@home and the Australian Department of Health. ACPCWG-related updates and resources will be shared below:
- ACPCWG: COVID-19: Why palliative care matters!
Integrating palliative care into COVID-19 planning: Authors Dr Will Cairns and Prof Meera Agar MJA InsightPlus 23.03.2020
Planning for the dark side of the pandemic: Interview with Professor Meera Agar, Australian Financial Review 27.03.2020
- COVID-19: projecting compassion through the barrier of PPE, Author Rachel Coghlan, MJA InsightPlus 06.04.2020
Concerns for palliative care patients ‘robbed of dignity’ Interview on Radio 2GB with Professor Meera Agar 8.04.2020
- Playing our part: the importance of practicing compassionate care for all Opinion piece by Australian and New Zealand Society of Palliative Medicine (ANZSPM), Palliative Care Nurses Australia (PCNA) and Australian Allied Health in Palliative Care (AAHPC).
The working group will be issuing regular e-newsletters as an additional communications vehicle to share updates and information. View these newsletters below:
- ACPCWG newsletter #1 – 6 April 2020
- ACPCWG newsletter #2 – 15 April 2020
- ACPCWG newsletter #3 – 21 April 2020
- ACPCWG newsletter #4 – 28 April 2020
- ACPCWG newsletter #5 – 5 May 2020
- ACPCWG newsletter #6 – 12 May 2020
- ACPCWG newsletter #7 – 19 May 2020
Commonwealth Department of Health
- Regular COVID-19 updates and alerts
- Coronavirus Health Information Line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.
World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Latest updates and alerts including technical guidance, myth busters and research updates
Health professionals and aged care workers
- Resources for health professionals, including aged care providers, pathology providers and healthcare managers
- Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA): National Guidelines for the Prevention, Control and Public Health Management of COVID-19 Outbreaks in Residential Care Facilities in Australia (PDF)
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence: COVID-19 rapid guideline: managing symptoms (including at the end of life) in the community, NICE guideline [NG163] 03.04.2020
Australian and New Zealand Society of Palliative Medicine (ANZSPM) and CareSearch have collated a series of resources specifically for health care professionals working in palliative care.
- Australian Government Department of Health Online COVID-19 infection control training for all health care workers:
- allied health
- aged care (both in residential aged care facilities or with visiting carers at home, including cleaners and cooks)
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services
- dental practices, including dentists, nurses, cleaners and receptionists
- disability (both in residential/shared care facilities or part-time carers in people’s homes, including cleaners and cooks)
- primary care
- Older Person Advocacy Network (OPAN) webinars: COVID-19: What it means for people in aged care
Grief and Bereavement:
The Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement have published a series of excellent resources for practitioners and the general public on topics relating to grief and bereavement during COVID-19.
- Social Support and Bereavement during the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Spiritual Health Association COVID-19 updates for spiritual care managers, coordinators and practitioners.
Key Articles and Research
- The key role of palliative care in response to the COVID-19 tsunami of suffering Article in The Lancet
- Characteristics, symptom management and outcomes of 101 patients with COVID-19 referred for hospital palliative care Article in the Journal of Pain and Symptom Management