Australian COVID-19 Palliative Care Working Group
Palliative Care Australia has formed the Australian COVID-19 Palliative Care Working Group (ACPCWG) in partnership with the Australian and New Zealand Society of Palliative Medicine (ANZSPM), Palliative Care Nurses Australia (PCNA), Australasian Chapter of Palliative Medicine (AChPM) of the Royal College of Physicians (RACP), End of Life Directions for Aged Care (ELDAC), Paediatric Palliative Care Australia and New Zealand (PAPCANZ), CareSearch and caring@home. ACPCWG-related updates and resources will be shared below:
- ACPCWG: COVID-19: Why palliative care matters!
Integrating palliative care into COVID-19 planning: Authors Dr Will Cairns and Prof Meera Agar MJA InsightPlus 23.03.2020
Planning for the dark side of the pandemic: Interview with Professor Meera Agar, Australian Financial Review 27.03.2020
- COVID-19: projecting compassion through the barrier of PPE, Author Rachel Coghlan, MJA InsightPlus 06.04.2020
The working group will be issuing regular e-newsletters as an additional communications vehicle to share updates and information. View these newsletters below:
Commonwealth Department of Health
- Regular COVID-19 updates and alerts
- Coronavirus Health Information Line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.
World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Latest updates and alerts including technical guidance, myth busters and research updates
Health professionals and aged care workers
- Resources for health professionals, including aged care providers, pathology providers and healthcare managers
- Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA): National Guidelines for the Prevention, Control and Public Health Management of COVID-19 Outbreaks in Residential Care Facilities in Australia (PDF)
Australian and New Zealand Society of Palliative Medicine (ANZSPM) and CareSearch have collated a series of resources specifically for health care professionals working in palliative care.
- Australian Government Department of Health Online COVID-19 infection control training for all health care workers:
- allied health
- aged care (both in residential aged care facilities or with visiting carers at home, including cleaners and cooks)
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services
- dental practices, including dentists, nurses, cleaners and receptionists
- disability (both in residential/shared care facilities or part-time carers in people’s homes, including cleaners and cooks)
- primary care
- Older Person Advocacy Network (OPAN) webinars: COVID-19: What it means for people in aged care