Tweetchat ‘Caring for the Carers’
This month, @palliverse and @PCACEO invite you to join us and our special guests for a #PALLANZ tweetchat to discuss “Caring for the Carers” on 28th April 2016. This online tweetchat will be an opportunity to share your experiences, ask your questions and talk about the key issues for carers of people living with serious illness – be that dementia, cancer, MND, heart failure, or any other serious chronic condition.
Many of us aren’t aware there are carers of all ages undertaking these roles in our community – over 2.8 million in 2015 Australia alone. That equates to 12% of our population who form the linchpin of our health system – collectively providing an estimated 1.9 billion hours of unpaid vital support to a person requiring care every year!
So how can palliative care, the health system, our government and each of us within our community help to support carers?
What? Topics for discussion:
- T1 What do carers do? What does it mean to be a carer? Do you have any experiences to share?
- T2 What’s the best or most enjoyable thing about being a carer? What’s the hardest thing?
- T3 What kind of supports do carers need? How can we help to ‘care for the carers’?
- T4 What supports are available for carers in our community? Please share any resources or strategies you have found useful.
Everyone with an interest in these issues is welcome, including:
- Carers of someone living with serious illness, disability, mental illness or frailty.
- People who receive support from a carer and their families.
- Clinicians, researchers.
- Health service managers, administrators, policymakers.
- Other interested members of the community.
When? Thursday, 28th April 2016
- 5:00pm AWST Perth
- 6:30pm ACST Adelaide, Darwin
- 7:00pm AEST Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, Brisbane
- 9:00pm NZST Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch