Recipe: Yoghurt cubes
HammondCare’s executive chef, Peter Morgan-Jones, has agreed to share the following recipe with Palliative Matters readers from his cookbook, “It’s All About the Food Not the Fork! 107 Easy to Eat Meals in a Mouthful”.
This is a modified texture recipe which can be eaten by hand. It is suitable for people on regular, soft, minced and pureed diets.
Prep 5 minutes
Cook 2 minutes
2 tbsp castor sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp milk powder
8 (1g) scoops Shape It gel powder (available from www.hammond.com.au/shop/food-culture/shape-it-instant)
Extra virgin olive oil
In a saucepan, combine milk, sugar, vanilla and milk powder. Bring to a simmer. Add 5 scoops of gel powder and simmer for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and add yoghurt slowly. Stir well until combined.
Spray a non-stick container with oil and pour in yoghurt mixture. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until set.
Turn out onto a chopping board and cut into 3cm cubes.
Add to bircher muesli for an excellent breakfast.
Serve at room temperature.
Ensure no fluids from condensation remain on the plate (drain before serving).
- Frail elderly put new pressure on prisons to provide palliative care
- One third of elderly patients receive futile treatment before they die
- Symbolic works created with ink-filled syringe capture life and offer therapy
- The most intimate thing I’ve done in my life: Kylie’s story
- Vicarious trauma: a young nurse shares her experience