FECCA & NARI Roundtable
Today PCA attended a Roundtable discussion at Parliament House hosted by the Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia and the National Ageing Research Institute. The aim of the roundtable was to develop a research agenda and a plan of action to further advance understanding of the needs of older CALD Australians.
This Roundtable builds on FECCA’S 2020 Vision for Older CALD Australians, released in November last year. It also builds on the FECCA report A Review of Australian Research on People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Backgrounds, released in March 2015. The report identified the gaps in research on ageing of people from CALD backgrounds and made the following recommendations to improve the status and value of Australian research in this area:
- continue to grow the body of research about older people from CALD backgrounds;
- improve comparability of research results, datasets and data sources;
- increase participation by older people from CALD backgrounds in research;
- mine existing data sources for more information about older people from CALD backgrounds; and
- update available literature and resources about older CALD populations on a regular basis.
Today’s Roundtable was addressed by both sitting ministers and shadow ministers. Following the Roundtable, FECCA and NARI will prepare a report, and develop a research agenda and an action plan to inform policy and practice.