National Standards Assessment Program
Palliative Care Australia’s National Standards Assessment Program (NSAP) is a quality improvement program available for all specialist palliative care services across Australia. It is a program that enables services to engage in continuous quality improvement through self-assessment against the National Palliative Care Standards (Standards for Providing Quality Palliative Care for all Australians, 2005, Palliative Care Australia), action plan development and implementation, as well as peer mentorship, audit and survey tools.
Participation in NSAP enables palliative care services to:
- Review (every 2 years) how the Service meets the National Palliative Care Standards
- Prioritise key improvement quality areas to better meet the National Palliative Care Standards
- Develop and implement a quality improvement action plan (based on the Services quality resources, strategic plan and latest evidence)
- Receive a peer mentorship visit from an experienced palliative care practitioner external to the Service to support the quality improvement activities of the Service
- Provide national feedback to the Government and Education Department of the key quality issues the palliative care sector is facing.